PCOS: Understanding the Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment Options
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) has become a very common problem among women in recent times. It is a condition affecting the hormone level of women. It leads to abnormal production of male hormones, thereby causing hormonal imbalance. PCOS may even lead to a situation where you would require medical abortion. That is why treating this condition at the earliest is essential. This article will highlight the PCOS symptoms and treatment options and help you understand the causes. Let's take a look!
Causes of PCOS
The specific cause of PCOS, or polycystic ovary syndrome, is still unknown. However, the most important factors that lead to the medical condition are listed below.
- Heredity: Several researches show that a family history of PCOS may result in the development of the condition.
- Insulin Resistance: Insulin resistance in the body can result in PCOS. It means that the body is not capable of utilizing insulin effectively. As a result, the insulin level keeps building up, and the androgen level increases in your body.
- Obesity: Obesity is also known to increase the insulin level in your body and make symptoms of PCOS worse.
Symptoms of PCOS
Here are the common symptoms of polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Irregular Periods: It is one of the most common symptoms seen in a majority of women. While some have very light periods, others experience irregular or missed periods. The lack of ovulation results in the irregularity of periods.
- Hair Growth: Women with PCOS have excess hair growth on the face and body. It includes hair growth on the belly, back, and chest.
- Weight Gain: A majority of women with PCOS have obesity or are overweight.
- Acne: The increase in the production of male hormones in the body makes the skin oilier than normal. As a result, it leads to breakouts on the chest, face, and upper back.
- Headache: The changes in hormones can give rise to headaches in some women.
Treatment of PCOS
Now that you know the causes and symptoms of PCOS, it is time to understand the treatment options available. Here are the best ways to treat PCOS effectively.
- Medications: Women with PCOS may be recommended certain medications to cause ovulation. It proves to be helpful for the ovaries to release eggs in a normal manner.
- Change in Diet: A change in diet can help in addressing the symptoms of PCOS in women. Try to consume a healthy diet and minimize your carbohydrate intake.
- Exercises:Engaging in physical activities and exercises can help in preventing insulin resistance in your body. Maintaining a healthy weight lowers the androgen and insulin levels and treats PCOS. So, try to remain as active as possible and control your weight.
The cases of PCOS among women have been increasing in recent times. By now, you must be well aware of the PCOS symptoms and treatment options. So, if you are experiencing symptoms of PCOS, it is time to get appropriate treatment. Want to know more about PCOS or medical abortion? Connect with healthcare professionals and get the best treatments for a healthy life.